Call us on +44 1905 613151
In the heart of historic Worcester

About Us

The name Fownes derives from John Fownes, the man responsible for originally building the Victorian Glove Factory in 1882. The firm called Fownes Gloves was established in London in 1877 and moved to Worcester in 1887. At that time the Fownes Glove Company employed more that 1,000 people and was one of the world’s leading glove makers with offices and factories in many parts of the world.

Following the decline of the glove industry due to fashion, the business and manufacture of gloves was transferred to Warminster in Wiltshire in 1974 and the building became derelict.

In 1985 Christine and David Hitchins acquired the site and developed plans to convert the building into a city centre hotel catering for the needs of the local business community Test.